[Python-Dev] OpenBSD anyone?

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Mon Dec 22 14:45:43 EST 2003

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> Very interesting!  Had you done a previous non-debug build in the same
> directory?  (Even if you did a "make clobber" before restarting -- you
> never know what leave-behind could cause this.)

Yes.  I did do a make clobber && ./configure before building the debug
version, but it's not a clean checkout.

OK, just did a clean checkout, no patch, and got the same result.

> The next thing I'd try would be to start the python executable that
>was build under gdb and play around in it, like this:
>
> $ gdb ./python
> [...]
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /home/guido/projects/python/dist/src/debug/python
> [New Thread 1074895104 (LWP 30404)]
> Python 2.4a0 (#2, Dec 22 2003, 11:02:19)
> [GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)] on linux2
> [...]
>
> Eventually I expect you'd get a segfault; at that point you can use
> the gdb 'bt' command to get a stack trace.  Hopefully it'll point to
> some innocent C code that gets mistreated by the non-debug compiler...

It doesn't get as far as the banner:

Script started on Mon Dec 22 14:42:19 2003
hydra /home/kbk/proj/sandbox/python_clean$ gdb ./python
GNU gdb 4.16.1
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-openbsd3.3"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/kbk/proj/sandbox/python_clean/./python

0x401900a0 in strchr ()
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Quit anyway (and kill it)? (y or n) y
hydra /home/kbk/proj/sandbox/python_clean$
Script done on Mon Dec 22 14:42:38 2003

Investigating.

--
KBK