[Python-checkins] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: python/dist/src/Objectsunicodeobject.c, 2.204, 2.205

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 19 07:54:16 EST 2003

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Hye-Shik Chang <perky at i18n.org> writes:
[...]
>>BTW, do we really support architectures with 9bits-sized char?
[...]
> I don't think we want to make the
> lives of people porting to such architectures any harder than it
> already is...

TI make chips where the smallest addressable unit is 16-bits and
sizeof(char) == sizeof(int) == 16 bits == 1 byte due to the way the C
standard is written.

I don't think Python is ported to any such chip at present (the one I
use is a DSP, and I would seriously question the sanity of anyone who
tried to run Python on one of these critters), but it's a possibility
that shouldn't be ignored. Porting to such a machine would be rather
entertaining (sizeof() gets a _lot_ of work in the code for that DSP).

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan               |     Brisbane, Australia
Email: ncoghlan at email.com  | Mobile: +61 409 573 268