[Python-Dev] Re: Relative import

Paolo Invernizzi paoloinvernizzi at dmsware.com
Thu Dec 18 10:18:22 EST 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>I have
>something which looks like a symlink on my Win2k box.  Windows calls it a
>Shortcut in listings.  Is that not roughly the same thing as a symlink?

No, the NT file system as nothing as flexible as a symlink.

If we are speaking about symlinks to files, windows shortcuts are barely
usable only for pointing to executable for execution in a console (but
they have a lot of redirection problems).

If you *open* a shortcut you are actually opening the shortcut itself,
not the thing it's pointing to ;-(

Shortcuts to a directory is only usable by Explorer-like-programs, I
don't know any usable operation with them from the console...

The only way to use shortcut in python is to turn python shortcut-aware
in the import machinery...

---
Paolo Invernizzi

Ps... cygwin is another story....