[Python-Dev] Relative import

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Dec 16 13:43:46 EST 2003

> On a related and minor note, can we please expand the grammar to allow
> from...import statements to continue to the next line after a trailing
> comma?  For those of us with large, complex, and componentized projects, it
> would be very nice.  e.g.:
>
> from OPAL.Modules.Financial.Reports.COGS import generate, webOptions,
>                                                 normalize, row_ops,
>                                                 summary
>
> instead of:
>
> from OPAL.Modules.Financial.Reports.COGS import generate, webOptions, \
>                                                 normalize, row_ops,   \
>                                                 summary
>

> This has been a minor nit that bothers just under the threshold of fixing it
> myself.  ;)

I guess this could be implemented by allowing [NEWLINE] after the
comma in the grammar.

But I'm -0 on this change; I fear that someone accidentally adding a
trailing comma (or leaving it in after some rearrangements) will be
very puzzled at the syntax error that comes somewhere in the middle of
the next statement:

  from foo import bar,

  bufsize = 12
          ^syntax error