[Python-Dev] distributing modules

Keith Dart kdart at kdart.com
Thu Dec 11 02:32:44 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 23:21, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> In addition, you should realize that there are many ways of publishing
> Python modules; including them in the Python distribution is just one
> way.

That's true. In fact, I do distribute some from sourceforge.net (in the
pyNMS project) now. But that is a large package that does contain some
general and unrelated modules that others might find useful. It is also
limited to a tarball download or CVS access. That limits it's user base
a bit. Since we currently don't have a CPAN for Python, I thought I
might try this route.

Also, I know it is often said that Python has "batteries included".
However, in my experience the "batteries" are often inadequate for the
job. Many modules are incomplete, or otherwise like some key
functionality. I have had to extend and/or rewrite many of the "stock"
libraries over the past few years. I would like to fold my additions
back into the core, if possible.

--
Keith Dart