[Python-Dev] Int FutureWarnings and other 2.4 TODOs

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 3 09:16:14 EST 2003

> > Andrew Koenig <ark-mlist at att.net>
> >> I think that int should be the base class, because I can imagine long
> >> supporting operations that int does not support, but not vice versa.

> Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
> > Perhaps 'int' should be an abstract class, with concrete
> > subclasses 'long' and 'short'.

MWH:
> That's quite a nice idea -- a bit like an Objective C class cluster.

I've been pondering this one too.  The only downside I can think of is
that code that inherits from class int to add some method (e.g. a
class hexint whose repr() and str() call hex() instead) will no longer
inherit any implementation, and thus won't be very useful.  Inheriting
from short or long doesn't quite solve the problem either.