[Python-Dev] Int FutureWarnings and other 2.4 TODOs

Andrew Koenig ark-mlist at att.net
Tue Dec 2 15:14:01 EST 2003

> I'm not sure about that yet.  I'd *like* to find a hack that lets the
> int type change representations, but the fact is that it's much easier
> to use different types to indicate different representations.

Aren't integers immutable?  If so, I would think it doesn't make sense for
them to change representation, as they don't change value.

Anyway, if you want to use type to encode representation, I would think that
the various integer types should be related by inheritance.  As a long can
always substitute for an int, at least in theory, I would think that long
should be derived from int.  Then isinstance(42L, int) would yield True.

If integers are related this way, LSP implies that converting a long to a
string should not put an L at the end.