[Python-Dev] adding save() and load() function for interactive use

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Dec 1 14:07:11 EST 2003

>  I think that for learning Python, it would be nice to
>  save the current namespace to a file using a builtin
>  save() function (and corresponding load()). For
>  beginning programmers, it would be nice to be able to
>  tinker interactively with the shell, defining functions
>  and maybe even classes, with which they can continue
>  later on. save() is easily implemented by pickling
>  locals(); load() is easily implemented by updating
>  locals() while unpickling it. The functions would take
>  a filename (string) as an argument. In Idle, they could be
>  in the menu. Like the _ variable, load() and save() are
>  only present in the interactive shell (some global
>  .pythonrc?). Example usage:
[omitted]

Saving classes and functions with pickle doesn't work; it *appeared*
to work only because you didn't actually quit your session.

IDLE has a feature designed to further the same goal without having to
save a "workspace" (a vague concept at best and one that doesn't scale
to larger Python apps).  You can configure IDLE to come up with a
blank untitled Python file instead of a Python Shell window.  Then the
student's work cycle is intended to be as follows:

  - Type some code into the file.

  - Save it (the first time the student has to pick a filename).

  - Hit F5 which will run the file (which is now a module); this will
    open a Python Shell (if one isn't already open) so you can
    experiment with the code defined in the file, but these
    experiments won't be saved.

There's also an option to avoid the save step (F5 will save
automatically once a filename is picked).