[Python-Dev] Re: FWD: Re: Problem w/ IDLE on Win2000

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Mon Aug 11 09:44:24 EDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 11:28:07AM +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
> And I thought bash was insane <wink> (actually bash quoting *is*
> insane -- windows just manages to be worse.  I'm impressed).

bash quoting is well-documented (and surely sh-quoting is posix standard),
and with just a few good habits you'll rarely get tripped up, even on
filenames and options with embedded whitespace (which nobody sane will
use, anyway).  I'd say the level of care is not too different from the
level that tcl requires.

And bash isn't involved in os.exec*/spawn*, thank god.

Jeff