[Python-Dev] hook for standalone executable

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Aug 9 16:34:26 EDT 2003

I'm with Jack to some extent - it seems a little hacky.  But the problem is
real.

> but on some platforms, at least, a zipfile can be appended to
> a copy of
> the interpreter executable itself).
>
> Alex Martelli and Oren Tirosh also came up with ideas how to do this,
> and it seems a hook in Py_Main() would be able to do the trick.

How about splitting this out a little.

* Make changes to Py_Main() necessary to better support "hard-embedders",
which may include custom sys.argv/environ processing.

* Propose a new executable that some Python platforms can choose to
distribute - eg, 'python-package{.exe}'.  This is really just identical to
python.exe, but with the only 'if doesnt start with 'python'' parts of your
proposal.

This seems like less magic, but still more flexible for those people who
*still* aren't happy with what we did <wink>

Mark.