[Python-Dev] Re: shared library

Francois Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Aug 6 13:46:00 EDT 2003

[Mark Hammond]

> When first moving the Python/Mozilla XPCOM binaries to Linux, I was
> flabbergasted to find dynamic linking was considered an esoteric feature.

Indeed.

Here is something which counter-weights these arguments, a bit, in favour
of Martin's original statement.  Christos Georgiou <tzot at sil-tec.gr>
kindly communicated to me this pointer for an experiment he did:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=k7clgvoqjur1f10mosue3os74vv7nd34hi%404ax.com

Christos observed that using PIC may trigger a 25% slowdown.  This looks
to me like more than "a few" percent points.  Hey, there are good arguments
in either direction, it's difficult sustaining a strong opinion.  Sigh! :-)