[Python-Dev] Re: shared library

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 6 01:37:21 EDT 2003

Francois Pinard wrote:
> Would it be a reasonable compromise if Python was compiled twice?

Indeed, this is what Debian does, and anybody producing Python binary
distributions might want to do.

> System packagers would be much encouraged to provide both whenever it works
> for their system.

System packagers can do so today if they want to. I don't think they
*need* anything beyond that: They would not even have needed the
standard option to build a shared libpython - Debian has managed to
produce a shared libpython for years without support for that feature
inside Python itself. If packagers haven't done so in the past, I
can only conclude that users haven't requested that feature from
their system vendors.

Regards,
Martin