[Python-Dev] Re: pirate (python+parrot)

Dan Sugalski dan at sidhe.org
Mon Aug 4 16:10:34 EDT 2003

At 2:13 PM -0400 8/4/03, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 13:21:52 -0400, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.net> wrote:
>>OTOH there may be a devilish plan here to let Dan believe he won't
>>have to work very hard, and then in the end he'll lose because your
>>implementations are inefficcient... :-)
>
>For some reason the Parrot developers seem more focused on working
>with bytecode; see Dan Sugalski's weblog at
>http://www.sidhe.org/~dan/blog/archives/000205.html .  (There's an
>amusing link in the comments for a
>Python-bytecode-to-SAX-event-stream translator; my mind is boggled.)
>Bytecode translation doesn't strike me as a very useful course to
>follow, because Python's bytecode is vulnerable to being changed
>between versions and because looking at bytecode provides less
>information than looking at an AST.

The reason for the interest in bytecode for this goes back to the
python-dev traffic that lead to the challenge starts at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032598.html
more or less (there are some messages previous to it). The quick
summary is that it was posited that native compilation and/or JITting
(depending on how you look at it) wouldn't be a win for Python. I
said it would be and parrot was sufficiently far along for me to be
comfortable with that, and put up $10 and a round of beer to
emphasize I was willing to back it up. (Seemed an appropriate way to
show I was serious) Guido took me up on it, and the bet escalated a
bit afterwards.

The bytecode emphasis is there mainly because of the bet. I put up
that parrot'd be a faster engine for python than the CPython core,
not a better parser of the python source. The best way to demonstrate
that is to run some python bytecode--actually producing that bytecode
is a matter for a compiler, and while that's certainly an important
thing, it wasn't the main emphasis.
--
                                         Dan