[Python-Dev] Cryptographic stuff for 2.3

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
25 Apr 2003 11:34:22 -0400

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 02:42, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> That's really optimistic. Every CD vendor, mirror site, etc. in the
> world hosting the Python distribution would have to go through the
> business of evaluating whether it's legal to distribute Python or not
> in their particular case.

I haven't had time to follow this thread closely, but I think I saw a
message from Martin where he explained that the OpenSSL wrapper we
already have is probably covered by US export regulations.  I think it's
a matter of interpretation, but I agree with that interpretation.  So
everyone who distributes Python already needs to do that analysis.

I think it's unlikely we would remove the crypto code we already have,
so I'm all for adding more crypto code that makes the library more
useful.

Jeremy