[Python-Dev] When is it okay to ``cvs remove``?

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:59:14 +0200

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 03:43:34PM -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:

> I am rewriting test_urllib.py from scratch since the current version is
> very lacking (and out of date; the thing tests against UserDict from odd
> reason).  Since I have written it from scratch I figure doing a ``cvs
> remove`` on the current test_urllib.py and then adding my new version to
> get a fresh version numbering?

That's not particularly useful. The only thing that does is create a period
in time (or rather, 'history' -- CVS history) in which test_urllib.py
doesn't exist. Re-adding the file won't give you a fresh version numbering
either, it'll just give you a lot of headaches, especially when there are
branches involved (right, Barry ? :-)

Just commit your new test_urllib.py directly, when it's all done, using
something like

    cvs commit -r2.0 test_urllib.py

But you probably want to discuss the version number you want to force, Guido
might like to reserve 2.0 for something (although I think he should use
'3000' instead :)

CVS is very 4-dimensional; it only allows for one file to exist at any given
spot in the entire timeline. It can leave and come back, but it's still the
same file. (And, for example, it can never become a directory.) And a file
can have only one 1.1 revision. If you have direct access to the CVS
repository (which is actually RCS) you can remove the RCS file and start
really a'fresh, but that means you lose history. It's nullifies the file.
(and is also about as drastic as Galactus' Nullifier ;-)

> Also, my rewrite is not finished (have some more things I want to test),
> but what I have so far passes and seems good.  Should I bother to check in
> what I have so far to have it in b1, or hold off until the suite is
> completely finished?  I am assuming since these are unit tests that are
> passing I don't need to bother with an SF patch to get a code review from
> someone.

It might at least make sense to have some differing platforms run the test
before you check it in.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>