[Python-Dev] Cryptographic stuff for 2.3

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:30:30 -0400

> > Thanks for the URLs!  Another good reason to avoid tying up Python
> > with crypto.
>
> I don't consider that a good reason. Including batteries is one of the
> strengths of Python, and if there are useful libraries, we should
> attempt to include them.

IMO there are more important batteries to include before we deal with
the hassle of registering for crypto stuff.  Even if it's harmless,
the inclusion of any crypto at all causes some people to have to go
through a lot of corporate red tape.  I just dealt with questions from
someone who was re-exporting Python and needed answers for his
corporate lawyer.  If I had to say "yes, Python contains an AES
implementation" his red tape amount would have multiplied.