[Python-Dev] Cryptographic stuff for 2.3

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
24 Apr 2003 07:19:55 +0200

"A.M. Kuchling" <amk@amk.ca> writes:

> Do we want to do anything about this for 2.3?  A benefit is that AES
> is useful, and likely to remain so for the next 20 years; a drawback
> is that it might entangle the PSF in export-control legalities.  I
> vaguely recall the PSF getting some legal advice on this point; am I
> misremembering?  What was the outcome?

I think we now formally meet all US export requirements. The
requirement is that we inform some agency that we do export
cryptographic software. Jeremy did that. I don't recall the exact
details of that registration, but I think it would be easy to update
it to also report that we export an AES implementation (or, perhaps,
our registration was generic to cover all future additions to the SF
CVS tree).

So I'm all in favour of adding AES to the Python standard library.

Regards,
Martin