[Python-Dev] Re: Magic number needs upgrade

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:40:21 -0400

> Now that we have new bytecode optimizations, the pyc file magic
> number needs to be changed.

Of course we might also consider turning back Raymond's bytecode
optimizations.  Given that I can't discern any speedup, I wonder what
the wisdom is of adding more code complexity.

We're still holding off on Ping and Aahz's changes (see the
cache-attr-branch) and Thomas and Brett's CALL_ATTR optimizations, for
similar reasons (inconclusive evidence of speedups in real programs).

What makes Raymond's changes different?

I also wonder why this is done unconditionally, rather than only with
-O.