[Python-Dev] ''.join() again

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:05:19 -0400

On Mon, Apr 21, 2003, Alex Martelli wrote:

> I entirely agree on this.  Differently from reduce(operator.add, XX),
> ''.join(XX) *CAN* be taught quite reasonably to bright beginners
> without any special math/CS background, in my experience.  The
> noise against ''.join IMHO comes mostly from a crowd of "OO
> purists" who just don't see WHY it's RIGHT for it to be that way!-)

Well, this means it's time for my regular reminder that I'm very far
from an OO purist and I still hate ''.join().  OTOH, I've been using it
recently for some of my own code, and while I'll never change my mind
about its visual ugliness, I've got to admit that it has one cardinal
virtue: you can never forget what order its arguments belong in.

So I'll stop ranting about ''.join() except when people like Alex make
sneers about OO purists.  ;-)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?