[Python-Dev] 2.3b1 release

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:29:24 +0200

On donderdag, apr 17, 2003, at 22:17 Europe/Amsterdam, Guido van Rossum
wrote:

>>> I'd like to do a 2.3b1 release someday.  Maybe at the end of next
>>> week, that would be Friday April 25.  If anyone has something that
>>> needs to be done before this release go out, please let me know!
>>
>> The getargs mods got checked in just this morning, even though I
>> explicitly and rather strongly asked that if these mods be made they
>> be checked in *long* before a release was due:-(
>
> Sorry, I forgot.  Did you make a note of that on the SF patch?

Yes, I'm pretty sure I did. Thomas also seems to refer to it...

>> This means that all the Mac modules are now 100% dead. The same is
>> probably true for PyObjC. And PyObjC has the added problem that it
>> needs to be compatible with both 2.3b1 and 2.2 (notice that that is
>> "2.2", not "2.2.X": PyObjC has to work with /usr/bin/python that
>> Apple ships, which is 2.2 at the moment). I assume there are format
>> codes that will convert 16 bit and 32 bit integer quantities without
>> any checks on both 2.2 and 2.3, but I haven't investigated yet.
>
> Maybe we should retract the changes to existing format codes that make
> them more restrictive?  That should revive any code that's curerntly
> dead, right?

That would be much better. if "l" (lower case ell) would continue to
accept
anything I wouldn't have to change anything.

Of course I've been busy all night fixing code, but apart from a couple
of hand-crafted modules I haven't checked anything in yet. I will check
it in on a branch later tonight, and then I'll either forget about the
branch
or merge it, depending on the resolution of this.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -