[Python-Dev] Using temp files and the Internet in regression tests

Brett Cannon drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:59:46 -0700 (PDT)

[Guido van Rossum]

> > > That would be great.  Do you have a SF userid yet?  Then we can give
> > > you commit privs!
> >
> > bcannon is my username.  I was going to wait to ask for commit privs
> > until I had done more patches
<snip>
> OK, you're on.

Cool!  Thanks, Guido!  No more recv() resets from SF!  Woohoo!

> > I could.  Going to have to learn more LaTeX (and the special
> > extensions).  So I can take this on, but I can't make any promises
> > on when this will get done (I would be personally horrified if I
> > can't get this done before 2.3 final gets out the door, but you
> > never know).
>
> With LaTeX, the monkey-see-monkey-do approach works pretty well,
> combined with the Fred-will-fix-my-LaTeX-bugs approach. :-)

=)  Works for me.

> > Should there be a testing SIG?  Could keep a list of tests that
> > could stand to be rewritten or added (I know I was surprised to
> > discover test_urllib was so lacking).  Could also start by hashing
> > out these docs and making sure regrtest and test_support stay
> > updated and relevant.
>
> I don't know about a SIG.  Testing of what's in the core is fair game
> for python-dev.  3rd party testing, ask around.

OK, no SIG then.

> > Personally, I think writing regression tests is a good way to get
> > new people to help with Python.  They are simple to write and allows
> > someone to be able to get involved beyond just filing a bug.  I know
> > it was a thrill for me the first time I got code checked in and
> > maybe making the entry point easier by trying to get more people to
> > write more regression tests for the libraries will help give someone
> > else that rush and thus become more involved.
> >
> > Or maybe I am just bonkers.  =)
>
> Writing a good regression test requires excellent knowledge about the
> code you're testing while not touching it, so that's indeed a good way
> to learn.

One of these days I am going to put together an "Intro to python-dev" page
that discusses the basic etiquette on the list and how to slowly get more
and more involved.

But it looks like I have some LaTeX docs to write first.

-Brett