[Python-Dev] Garbage collecting closures

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:03:40 -0700

Guido van Rossum wrote:

>>On my Python, it just counts up. "a" gets more and more referrers and
>>they are "cell" objects. If it is unknown, I'll submit a bug report
>>unless someone fixes it before I get to it. ;)
>

> If I use a "while 1" loop, the count never goes above 225.

Just FYI, even if it wouldn't have leaked forever, it caused me serious
pain because it kept a reference to a COM object. The process wouldn't
die until the object died and all of my usual techniques for breaking
circular references were of no avail. I even tried nasty hacks like
globals.clear() and self.__dict__.clear(). But there was no circular
reference to be broken.

  Paul Prescod