[Python-Dev] python-dev Summary for 2003-03-16 through 2003-03-31

Zooko zooko@zooko.com
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 17:53:31 -0500

> > > One point made about capabilities is that they partially go against the
> > > Pythonic grain.
> > If capabilities were implemented as Python references, you could inherit
> > capabilities (== references) from superclasses, just as you can currently do.
>
> That's why it says "shouldn't" instead of "couldn't".  I could re-word
> this to go more along the way Ping phrased it in how the class statement
> does not make perfect sense for capabilities but it can be used.

I can't speak for Ping, but I would be quite surprised if he thought that
capabilities were un-Pythonic.  (I wouldn't be surprised if he disapproved of
the notion of classes in a programming language, regardless of security
considerations...)

Speaking for myself, capabilities have two main advantages: they fit with the
Zen of Python, they enable higher-order least-privilege, and they fit with the
principle of unifying designation and authority.

But seriously, I feel that capabilities fit with normal Python programming as it
is currently practiced.

Regards,

Zooko

http://zooko.com/
         ^-- under re-construction: some new stuff, some broken links