[Python-Dev] bug 576990

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:44:14 -0400

> Roeland Rengelink <rengelin@strw.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
>
> > 5. This is clearly a profound and interesting bug, but solving this
> > seems to involve cans of worms, ten-foot poles, and a re-write of the
> > core.

[Martin]
> To me, it sounds like this. This has been changed forth and back, and
> in every state, somebody is unhappy.

Yes, it's very messy, see my comments to the SF bug entry.  I see no
fix that doesn't break something else.

Note that this "worked" in the initial 2.2 release only when the
subclass didn't have a docstring of its own:

>>> class P(property):
...   "This is class P"
>>> p = P(None, None, None, "this is property p")
'This is class P'

The best workaround is I can see that works everywhere is:

class P(property):
    "class P's docstring"
    __doc__ = property.__dict__['__doc__']