[Python-Dev] Incorporating bsddb3

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:22:24 -0500

[Apologies for any dupes: I'm trying to repost this with one CC header
to see if that fixes a problem Guido was seeing -BAW]

    >> Not in the source distro, but it will end up in the RPMs and
    >> other binary distros.

    MAL> But that would violate the Sleepycat license; we are not
    MAL> shipping readline or a module which statically links against
    MAL> readline in the binary distros for the same reason.

Again, when we talked to Sleepycat a year and a half ago, they said it
would be ok to distribute the library with Python.  IIRC, even a
binary distro would be fine.  But I think a simple email to them would
clear the issue up.

    MAL> BTW, Sleepycat ships Berkley DB 4.1, wouldn't it be wise to
    MAL> update the wrapper module to that version ?

Because there are problems:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=1206938&forum_id=4362

-Barry