[Python-Dev] buffer('abc') == 'abc' is False ?!

Scott Gilbert xscottg@yahoo.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> wrote:

> We currently don't have any notion of separating character data from
> binary except the difference between Unicode and strings. Using
> Unicode for character data only and reserving strings for
> binary data would be nice, except that practice shows that this
> doesn't always work because not all tools in the chain are
> ready for Unicode just yet (including Python's stdlib itself).
>
> Nevermind, I'll roll my own,

I don't know if you've seen PEP 296, but I still hope to finish it and have
it accepted in time for the Python 2.3 release.  That doesn't meet your
requirement of working with Python 2.1 however.