[Python-Dev] float atime/mtime/ctime - a bad idea?

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
16 Oct 2002 16:09:10 +0200

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com> writes:

> > Sounds good. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll add stat_float_times(bool).
>
> Please don't!  The global setting isn't sufficient since many of us access
> many 3rd party modules.

Why is that insufficient? As long as you have modules that require int
time stamps, you can't switch to float time stamps. If you find you
are using such a module, tell the module author about that, and wait
for a corrected module.

> Why not simply create properies that return the int/float versions
> from the same structure and store the float versions?

How can the property know whether to return an int or a float?

Regards,
Martin