[Python-Dev] Why does the Windows installer use the shortname formof the install directory?

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:47:59 +0200

> [Moore, Paul]
> > That's fair enough. And it's not major enough that I'm pushing
> > for anyone to waste time on it. I just thought I'd mention it in
> > case it was a simple change to a checkbox, or something.
[Tim]

> It *almost* is a checkbox!  In WISE's idea of "a scripting language", the
> relevant line looks like this:
>
>    Set Variable MAINDIR to %MAINDIR%
>
> There's not a visible clue that this isn't a no-op.  If you double-click on
> the line in the WISE GUI, though, a dialog box pops up, with a dropdown list
> labeled "Operation", one of whose entries is
>
>     Convert to short filename
>
> There isn't another variant that adds "but only if it contains a space".
>
> Beyond that, I'm stuck -- since Adobe graciously updated my Acrobat Reader,
> every attempt to view the WISE reference docs (pdf format) hard-freezes
> (power cycle required) my box.  I *like* your suggestion to skip this unless
> there's an embedded space, I just seem unable to do anything about it now
> (but it would still be for 2.3 -- mucking with 2.2 is too dangerous).

I did a quick check: the online pdf file does say exactly the same
as the online help (which is still in windows help format).
It pops up when youu press F1 in this dialog.
If even this does not work on win 98 <wink>, I can post
the text here.

Thomas