[Python-Dev] Why does the Windows installer use the shortname form of the install directory?

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@atosorigin.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:38:29 +0100

I just installed Python 2.2.2b1 (replacing ActiveState Python) and I =
notice that the installer uses the shortname form of the Python install =
directory. This appears in sys.path, in file associations (and hence in =
sys.argv[0]), and in lots of other places in the registry, not all of =
which I follow the reasons for.

My Python install directory was C:\Applications\Python - not the =
default, but also not containing spaces (which I guess could be a =
problem for some scripts). So the short form should not be necessary. =
I've fixed the problem manually by hacking the registry, but it's not =
something I feel comfortable with...

Would it be possible for the installer to use the long filename form (at =
least in cases where the install path does not contain spaces)?

Sorry I didn't report this earlier, but I've been using the ActiveState =
distribution until now, which doesn't have this problem.

Paul.