[Python-Dev] Set-next-statement in Python debuggers

Armin Rigo Armin Rigo <arigo@tunes.org>
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:52:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Guido,

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> [Armin]
> > You can already crash the interpreter with pure Python code, for example
> > via the new.code() constructor or by writing crappy .pyc files.
>
> Yes, and I occasionally lose sleep over those.  I definitely don't
> want to add more loopholes like that, and I'd like to fix those.

Ok.  I already more or less committed to have a serious look over all the
existing overflow problems that could cause a core dump
(http://www.python.org/sf/618623).  I may add in my to-do list the checks
that no boggy data can crash unmarshall (after a first survey of the code
I'd say that such data might exist; e.g. r_string() has a memcpy() that
could be called with a negative size).

More importantly, if you think that there is use for a complete "code
object checker" that could catch any code doing silly things, then I'd
love to contribute.  Note however that this is something that will have to
be kept closely in sync with future compiler extensions.

A bientot,

Armin.