[Python-Dev] Where is this flag coming from?

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
09 Oct 2002 22:55:08 +0200

barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> Since there seems to be so little agreement among *nixes about how to
> do this, it seems like the only/best place to codify all this
> knowledge is in distutils.  I still think specifying
> runtime_library_dirs to the Extension constructor is the right thing
> to do.  But maybe on some systems distutils ought to ignore it, or at
> least check to make sure that the dynamic libraries it wants to link
> against are actually present.

I think both is difficult: It is hard to find out what option to use
on what system, and how to find out whether a shared library is
present. As a starting point, you have to decide whether you want a
conservative strategy (white list of systems you know how to steer),
or an optimistic strategy (black list of systems on which the standard
strategy fails).

For 2.2.2, backing out any setup.py changes to add
runtime_library_dirs should be taking into consideration.

Regards,
Martin