[Python-Dev] Bug #537450 Improper object initialization for type.__new__

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:49:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > On a somewhat tangental note, MoinMoin breaks with Python 2.3 CVS --
> > it expects integers from some of the os/filesystem time routines
> > were changed to return floats.  The fix is trivial, of course, but
> > it is interesting to note where real code breaks.
>
> I wonder if perhaps we should be more conservative here and stick to
> ints.  This was discussed here and we didn't know of any software that
> would break.  Now we do...

I don't really care much either way, and I suspect that the author(s) of
MoinMoin don't either.  I can see the theoretical benefit of floating point
timestamps, though I don't really need them (yet).  Once I do (if ever),
then I'll definitly be stumping for them.  On the other hand, the code that
broke in MoinMoin was ugly, and deserved what it got.

So maybe I do care a little...

+1 for leaving it in
+1 for getting some sleep since I'm clearly starting to hallucinate

-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect