[Python-Dev] Non-ASCII characters in test_pep277.py in 2.3

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 08:28:24 -0400

> You could, but the whole point of PEP 263 is that the source code
> encoding is made explicit, so removing the cookie would defeat the
> purpose. Note that the cookie also implicitly tests the PEP 263
> implementation.

I'm still not 100% comfortable with using arbitrary coding cookies in
the Python distribution.  I like having the feature, but I would
prefer if the Python source distribution could be viewed with tools
that aren't encoding-aware.  On my Red Hat 7.2 Linux box, I have found
no programs that understand the UTF8 cookie.  They all seem to default
to Latin-1.  Since I also don't really want to assume Latin-1, I'd
prefer if we could stick to ASCII, with the exception of tests
explicitly needed for PEP 263.  I don't want to make test_pep277.py an
implicit PEP 263 test.