[Python-Dev] Getting python-bz2 into 2.3

Bob Kline bkline@rksystems.com
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:19:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Bob Kline wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > > I'll be happy to help in whatever way would be useful in dealing with
> > > the "raised bar," as the prospect of having Python support on all
> > > platforms for bz2 compression (and tarfiles) is very appealing.
> >
> > If you could get Python from CVS, build it with MSVC 6.0 for Windows
> > (elaborate instructions are in PCBuild/readme.txt!!!), and see if
> > the bz2 module works on all flavors of Windows to which you have
> > access, that would be tremendously helpful IMO.
>
> If MSVC 7.0 isn't at least as good, I'll find a machine which still
> has 6.0 on it (or reinstall it on one of our development systems),
> but I pulled down the sources from CVS and built it with MSC++ 7 and
> the all 28 tests in the bz2 test suite pass on both Windows 2000 and
> Windows XP. Should I dig up a MSC6 system, or is this just as good?

I found a Windows 2000 Server that still had Visual Studio 6.0 on it.
Pulled down the latest CVS sources, built Python (Release) with the bz2
module, and ran the test suite, which again passed.  So far, therefore:

W2K Pro + MSC7: passed all tests
WXP Pro + MSC7: passed all tests
W2K Server + MSC6: passed all tests

--