[Python-Dev] int/long FutureWarning

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
30 Nov 2002 01:26:57 +0100

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com> writes:

> How about taking a completely different angle on this matter, and
> looking at PyArg_Parse itself? If we can keep PyArg_Parse 100%
> backward compatible (which would mean that its "i" format would take
> any IntObject or LongObject between -1e31 and 1e32-1) and introduce a
> new (preferred) way to parse arguments that not only does the right
> thing by being expressive enough to make a difference between
> "currency integers" and "bitmap integers", but also cleans up the
> incredible amount of cruft that PyArg_Parse has accumulated over the
> years?

I had a similar idea, so I'd encourage you to spell out your proposal
in more detail, or even in an implementation.

My idea was to provide a ParseTuple wrapper, which would be like

int
PyArg_ParseTupleLenient(PyObject *args, char *format, ...)
{
        char format1[200];
	int retval;
	va_list va;

        for(int i = 0; format[i]; i++)
          format1[i] = lenient_format(format[i]);

	va_start(va, format);
	retval = PyArg_VaParse(args, format1, va);
	va_end(va);
	return retval;
}

This would replace the "i" format with a "k" format, and perhaps make
other changes to the format.

Those of you needing to support older Python releases could

#define PyArg_ParseTupleLenient PyArg_ParseTuple

in your distribution, or provide other appropriate wrappers.

Regards,
Martin