[Python-Dev] int/long FutureWarning

Martin v. Löwis martin@v.loewis.de
29 Nov 2002 09:17:29 +0100

"Mark Hammond" <mhammond@skippinet.com.au> writes:

> I am sure I am missing something, but I can't see it.  I am ready to feel
> foolish <wink>.  It would certainly be easier for me to work on such a
> strategy than to convert all my extensions.

It is a violation of the principle

Errors should never pass silently.
Unless explicitly silenced.

If you have a function

   my_account.add_amount_of_money(0x80000000L)

and the implementation is a C function with an "i" converter, this
currently gives an indication of the error. Under your proposed
change, it would remove money from the account.

If we think that the case "large numbers are bitmaps" is more common
than the case "large numbers are large numbers", we should drop the
range check for the existing converters, and add new converters in
case somebody wants large numbers instead of bitmaps, which then do
the range checks.

Regards,
Martin