[Python-Dev] urllib performance issue on FreeBSD 4.x

Andrew MacIntyre andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:37:57 +1000 (est)

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> > > Without this patch, d/l a 4MB file from localhost gets a bit over 110kB/s,
> > > with the patch gets 4-5.5MB/s on the same system
> > >
> > > - why is the socket.fp being set to unbuffered?
> >
> > I can't make time for a full essay on the issue, but I believe that it
> > must be unbuffered because some applications want to read until the
> > end of the headers and then pass the file descriptor to a subprocess
> > or to code that uses the socket directly.
>
> sounds like it would be a good idea to provide a subclass (or option)
> for applications that don't need that feature.

Thanks for the info.  I'll add preparing a patch for this to my
projects list...

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia