[Python-Dev] Plea: can modulefinder.py move to the library?

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:52:51 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> IMO it needs work before it's suitable for the standad library:
> e.g. it contains a bunch of print statements for reporting that aren't
> always appropriate (but are fine in the context of freeze.py) and
> there's no documentation.

Documentation: Ok, that'll need to been done.

Regarding the print statements: most are in ModuleFinder.msg() and
ModuleFinder.report(), and then there are two in _try_registry(). Apart from the
latter, if msg() and reprot() are not appropriate for an application, they can
easily be overridden.

But: by default, self.debug is set to zero, which means that no msg's are ever
printed. I think the module as is is just fine (apart perhaps from the
_try_registry print statements), it's a meta tool after all. If you don't agree:
how should it be changed specifically?

Just