[Python-Dev] Plea: can modulefinder.py move to the library?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:47:25 -0500

> Is there any reason not to move freeze's modulefinder.py to the
> library? It's a very useful module, and it's a shame it's not
> available in non-source distributions. It seems odd that utilities
> that use it (like py2exe) must ship it themselves, since some
> otherwise work perfectly with a binary distribution.  I'm currently
> working on a py2exe-like tool for MacOSX and it would've been nice
> if I could have just done "import modulefinder"...

IMO it needs work before it's suitable for the standad library:
e.g. it contains a bunch of print statements for reporting that aren't
always appropriate (but are fine in the context of freeze.py) and
there's no documentation.