[Python-Dev] Continuous Sets in 2.3 set implementation?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 04:08:45 -0500

Frank Horowitz <frank.horowitz@csiro.au>:
> I know it's probably too late in the development cycle to get any
> meaningful continuous set operations supported, but is there any hope of
> renaming the implementation to something along the lines of "dsets" to
> remind the user of the discreteness? (Am I being too pedantic?)

You're being too pedantic.  Even most mathematicians tend to assume a
"set" will be drawn from a finite or discretely-infinite universe unless
the specific context points at a nondenumerable one.

Most mathematicians (other than metamathematicians) would be more
likely to think of a continuous subset of the reals as an `interval'.