[Python-Dev] Becoming a python contributor

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
01 Nov 2002 21:53:53 +0100

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> I for one wouldn't mind if other developers with some time
> at hand jump in on already assigned patches and bug reports to
> help out. Martin does this on a regular basis and I find
> it really helps.

I personally don't see assignments as a fixed thing. I think
developers who cannot process assigned tracker items should unassign
themselves - I personally assign things for myself only if I know I
can process them in the near future.

I also think that people should not consider assigned items as
"solved". If they had been assigned quite some time ago, people should
indeed contribute if they can.

> Another strategy would be for developers to take over maintenance of
> certain parts of the code. We should then probably have a list of
> maintainers for the various parts on the patch submission list to
> make the assignment process easier for the submitting parties.

I don't really think this would work. I quite dislike the idea of
somebody being "responsible" for some area of the code, being able to
overrule his peers merely by his position - except for the BDFL, of
course.

Regards,
Martin