[Python-Dev] Death of 1.5.2

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 13:27:56 -0400

On Wed, May 29, 2002, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     aahz> This is ridiculous.
>
> Perhaps you missed the smiley?

No, I didn't, but after your comment about "whining", it appeared to me
that regardless of the humor your underlying intent was quite serious.
My point about ANSI C vs. K&R C goes to the heart of the discussion, I
think: although Python development has overall been excellent at
maintaining backward compatibility, the discussion about timescales for
deprecation are overly aggressive, particularly in comparison with how
long it takes to switch C versions.

Here's a thought that just occurred to me:

Python 2.0 was somewhat buggy and not GPL compatible.  So I think it's
fair in some respects to start the clock on the death of 1.5.2 sometime
later, probably around the release of 2.1 or 2.0.1 -- that's only a year
ago.  I think there may be some serious underestimation about just how
entrenched 1.5.2 has become.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"In the end, outside of spy agencies, people are far too trusting and
willing to help."  --Ira Winkler