[Python-Dev] deprecating string module?

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 09:30:34 -0400

On Wed, May 29, 2002, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Peter> Python 1.5.2 is still very important and even the latest Red Hat
>     Peter> distributions still use it.
>
> I think the RedHat/1.5.2 thing is (or should soon be) a red herring.  In my
> message I suggested a two-year/four-release deprecation schedule.  That
> could easily be adjusted depending on what RH decides to do:
>
>     Research Triangle Park, NC (AP) - RedHat Software announced today that
>     it plans to release RedHat 7.77 during the first week of October 2018.
>     Significant new end user software shipped with this release will include
>     XFree86 17.1.7 and gcc 5.2.  Python 1.5.2 has proven amazingly stable
>     however, and too many people rely on it, so it will not be phased out in
>     favor of the current version of Python, 3.15, which was released in
>     August of 2016.

This is ridiculous.  Think about this: how long after ANSI C was
released did Python continue to support K&R?  That should give you a
feeling for long it should take to continue to support old releases for
core features.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"In the end, outside of spy agencies, people are far too trusting and
willing to help."  --Ira Winkler