[Python-Dev] New bugtracker projec

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:45:23 -0700

As a followup to a previous message, I remembered one problem with the
original roundup nosy-list mechanism, and that's the "adding to cc list
by replying to a email" behavior.  It's the key behind the nosy-list
concept, and I must say that it worked great when we had a small team of
developers (4-5) and beta users.  When we scaled up to over 10 people
and thousands of users, then that behavior was much too generous, and
you hesitated to make a comment on a bug for fear of being attached to
that bug forever.  Bugzilla is quite explicit about who gets added to
the "candidate cc list" by default (the "component owner", the "QA
contact" and the "reporter"), and one has to explicitely add oneself to
the bug  (although the UI could be smarter, since bugzilla knows you're
logged in if you are, it should be a one-click operation).  Again, I'm
not arguing for Bugzilla as much as for the features and control offered
by bugzilla.

As an aside -- Gordon, or anyone else looking at these issues, if you
want to file fake bugs, post attachments, etc. on our bugzilla
installation (e.g. Komodo or ActivePython) to see how the thing "feels",
feel free.  If you need privileged access (e.g. to be a component
owner), we can do that too.  see e.g. bugs.activestate.com/ActivePython.

--david