[Python-Dev] Windows XP dependency in Python release?

David Abrahams David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 14:20:58 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Peters" <tim.one@comcast.net>
To: "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com>
Cc: <python-dev@python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 1:57 PM
Subject: RE: [Python-Dev] Windows XP dependency in Python release?

> [avid Abrahams]
> > The summary is that python22.dll seems to have been built so that it
> > depends on a DLL which only comes with Windows XP, though it strangely
> > doesn't cause a problem until loading an extension module.
>
> The python22.dll distributed by PythonLabs was built on a Win98SE box.
It
> doesn't depend on apphelp.dll.  I've never been on an XP box, and there
is
> no apphelp.dll on any machine I do use.  Here are the system DLLs it does
> depend on:
>
> ADVAPI32.DLL
> KERNEL32.DLL
> USER32.DLL
> MSVCRT.DLL
> SHELL32.DLL
>
> Those in turn depend on (transitive closure):
>
> COMCTL32.DLL
> GDI32.DLL
> NTDLL.DLL
> RPCRT4.DLL
> SHLWAPI.DLL
>
> That's it.

Hey, it seemed legit since he reports a firestorm of similar issues on some
php list (no, I'm not shipping anyone any binaries). I'm just passing this
along. Do you want to talk to the guy who's having the problem, or do you
want to assume there's a luser error somewhere?

the-choice-is-y'rs-ly-y'rs,
dave