[Python-Dev] PEP282 and the warnings framework

Steven Lott s_lott@yahoo.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:28:33 -0700 (PDT)

[Vinay]
> The prevalent use and popularity of log4j and similar systems
> underlines the
> popularity of integer based severities; many man-years of
> trial and error
> and practical experience have gone into their current design,
> and many good
> brains have worked on them.

This doesn't make it the best design.  Most of the numeric
coding method was used because old computers were slow and
small and simple integers (often only single bytes) were
all that were practical.

For example, Unix process termination status was only
7 of the 8 bits of a single bytes.

This wealth of experience doesn't make this an optimal design;
merely convenient for the available languages and processors.

I recall vividly the arguments surrounding the 32-bit status
codes in the VAX architecture.  (Back when DEC was a powerhouse,
not the forsaken child of the forsaken child of HP)  Too long,
too complex, too much overhead processing 4 bytes when only
the 3 status code bits were really relevant.

I respect your passion for a complete implementation of the
PEP.  I submit that the next generation should get past this
"old/small" system technique and broaden the approach to use
the full power of the Python class capabilities.

Please look closely at the TIBCO subject-based messaging
architecture.

=====
--
S. Lott, CCP :-{)
S_LOTT@YAHOO.COM

Macintosh user: drinking upstream from the herd.