[Python-Dev] Patch #552433

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Wed, 8 May 2002 13:01:00 -0400

On Wed, May 08, 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Define "long enough"; I'm expecting that my BCD module will generate
> > tuples at least a hundred elements.
>
> Hm.  Creating such a long tuple in Python code will be the bottleneck
> in your program, not iterating over it.  Have you benchmarked this
> particular fix?  I find it hard to believe that one can even notice
> the difference.

You're probably right, though for long-lived Decimal() instances, I'd
expect many rounds of iteration over the tuple.  I was just questioning
what you meant by "long enough".  (No benchmark, I'm still not set up
for CVS yet.)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

See me at OSCON!  I'm teaching Python for [Perl] Programmers, a fast intro
for all experienced programmers (not just Perl).  Early bird ends June 10.
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2002/