[Python-Dev] AtheOS port

Martin v. Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
08 May 2002 18:52:10 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> > IMO, the AtheOS port (http://python.org/sf/488073) is ready for
> > integration. Would anybody object if I commit this change?
>
> I'd like to state it differently.  What's the compelling reason for
> this?  Does anybody even know what AtheOS is?

>From the Web page (www.atheos.cx, which appears to be down at the
moment - ask Google for a cached copy):

# AtheOS is a free desktop operating system under the GPL
# license. AtheOS currently run on Intel, AMD and other compatible
# processors and support the Intel Multi Processor architecture. I
# have seen quite a few anouncements of "promising" OSes with "great
# potential" during the development of AtheOS. The problem is that
# when I follow the links I normally find a description of the
# concept, a floppy-bootloader written in assembly, and not much
# else. AtheOS is a bit more mature, and is already running quite a
# lot of software. This server for example is running AtheOS. The HTTP
# server is a AtheOS port of Apache, and most of the content is
# generated by the AtheOS port of PHP3 and perl.The native AtheOS file
# system is 64-bit and journaled.

The rationale for the patch as given by its author is that AtheOS
apparently comes with a Python 1.5.2 binary, and that he wanted to see
whether he could update it to the current Python.

I'm copying Octavian Cerna to see whether he can come up with a good
reason why his patch should be included into Python - I was suggesting
to include because I saw no reason to reject it.

Regards,
Martin