[Python-Dev] changing password at SF?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:39:20 -0500

    SM> Didn't see this in the Python-SF-FAQ and SF's docs are pretty
    SM> mum on the subject...  How do I change the password I use when
    SM> ssh-ing into SF machines?  I used the [change password] form
    SM> from my SF web page, but when I ssh in to the compile farm it
    SM> still wants my old password.  Running the passwd command after
    SM> logging into a compile farm machine results in "authentication
    SM> failure" using both my old and new passwords.  Is there
    SM> perhaps some other machine I should login to?

    SM> (For those of you not involved with the python.org website,
    SM> this has immediate practical implications, because it appears
    SM> one of the python.org machines was broken into.)

The machine that was hacked was an ancient Solaris machine that hosted
the Ultraseek server, i.e. search.python.org.  I'm sure it was running
an ancient version of sshd and Apache, but I doubt that that machine
can be used to exploit other python.org machines.  So as long as you
didn't type your username and password in the basic auth window, I
don't think you're password is vulnerable.  I doubt you had an account
on that machine anyway (not sure though).

-Barry