[Python-Dev] Deprecating string exceptions

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:14:19 -0500

Barry A. Warsaw writes:
 > Of course the first 'foo' and the second 'foo' need not have such a
 > close lexical relationship.  And can't interning (I think) be
 > disabled?  (Though I'm sure no one does this.)  Also, isn't interning
 > limited to just identifier-like strings:

Yes, but in practice, the strings that were used for exceptions were
simple in this way.  I don't know whether there's a #define that
controls the use of interning; I can't imaging that anyone would want
to use it.

 > So, yes the simple example I gave will work, but the more general
 > concept, that string exceptions cannot guaranteed to be caught by
 > value, still holds.

Agreed.  But that's always been well-known, and probably even
documented.  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>